Like what you read?

Life of an Ordinary Aussie Woman

Wednesday, 12 March 2014

Maneuvering...

Maneuvering/ Manoeuvring, depending upon which part of the world you live in is defined as “moving skilfully or carefully”.


When thinking about this key word for our community's blog challenge, the passage of scripture which comes to mind is Ephesians 5:1-20, this passage of scripture discusses the importance of how as Christians, we are to live our lives CAREFULLY, imitating God!


How huge is this?  Did you know that as a Christian your life should imitate God? Yes, God!

This is indeed such a challenge, as I know we do fall short, yet here it is quite clear in scripture.

You see God is love, and so to imitate God our lives need to be defined by love, and this is what the beginning of this chapter is saying in verses one to two.

Eph 5:1-2 “Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children, and live in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.” (NRSV)

The next verses go on explaining ways in which we can sacrificially live our lives in love.  For example in love for The Lord and others we choose not to gratify our flesh and be sexually immoral; greedy (idolatry) or to use inappropriate language.  These actions are actually defined as disobedience to God in verse 6.

“This doesn’t sound like grace…”  Perhaps this is what you are thinking?

Grace is undeserved love and mercy given to us by God, because of Jesus Christ, and obedience is actually our loving RESPONSE to His amazing grace!  We cannot earn grace and forgiveness, of course, yet as born-again Christians we are asked to DIE to our flesh! Seriously…DIE!

Don’t believe me?  
Well check these passages out: 1 Pet 4:1-11 Rom 8:13Gal 2:205:16; 5:24Eph 4:20-24

But wait, I am heading somewhere with this post…You see this section of scripture is making a point, it is saying that we must be CAREFUL and WISE in how we live our lives…So that we may be a light to others in these evil, last days (Eph 5:8-16).

So this is why we must be careful how we walk out our Christian lives…We must manoeuver (move skilfully) every day as living testimonies to the power of Christ!  For if we don’t (and I’m not asserting that we never make mistakes okay – so we must always be willing to apologise & ask for forgiveness) we probably will be perceived by non-Christians as hypocrites!

Ouch, yeah I know that’s tough…But really, so is the world...

I know that I want people to take Christ and salvation seriously, as I have experienced God’s grace and want others to experience this awesome, life-changing gift.  But if I am not living a transformed, obedient life, tell me how will my life be a testimony? How will I be a shining light of God’s love to others in this dark world?  I believe that if I blend in so much that I am no different to any other woman; I will be dressed in camouflage rather than God’s shining light!  This may seem like an impossible task, but with the Holy Spirit it is possible.

My heart’s desire is to love The Lord, first and foremost daily.  No I don’t always get things right, but with God’s help, I am manoeuvring intentionally through each day.  

How will you manoeuver through life?
Any questions or comments?  Please feel free to leave one...


Love Mel J

2 comments:

Nathan R. Hale said...

"This may seem like an impossible task, but with the Holy Spirit it is possible."

Right on! God the Holy Spirit transforms us and gives us power to be who we were created to be. Wonderful!

Melanie Baker-Nash said...

Amen, Nathan! What is impossible for man is possible with God (Matt 19:26; Luke 18:27; Mark 10:27)