Like what you read?

Life of an Ordinary Aussie Woman

Monday 27 February 2017

It is RIGHT to give our thanks & Praise:

One of the liturgical responses in the Anglican tradition of worship is, “It is RIGHT to give our thanks and praise”.

What I so love about this response is threefold: It can be said regardless of one’s emotions at the time because it is TRUTH that praise and thanks is always the right response; It is SIMPLE as it moves our focus from self to the eternally, unchanging One; Yet POWERFUL as we can then escape our present state and move into a peaceful, eternity-focused one.

As I was driving to work this morning I saw a dead, unidentifiable, animal carcass on the side of the road. My heart became heavy as I drove through what is such beautiful country-side, thinking of what a wonderful gift this land is from God, but also of how this place is also one where many are spiritually dead, or are dying from their continued rebellion…I began to grieve over the hardness of heart and of the desire to be self-sufficient…Over inter-generational brokenness so blatantly in the face of people, while they still cry out, “No God! I don’t want or need You!”

It was then I made a conscious decision to praise my God regardless…

I began to meditate as I drove on Him.

Upon Him who is LOVE.

Upon Him who is unchanging.

Upon Him who set ME apart and made me His Own, long before I did anything to serve Him.

Upon Him who saw me inside my mother’s whom and still chose to save me, even knowing all the rebellion and sin I would commit.

Upon Him who saw me, just as He sees all, lost and in desperate need.

Upon Him who is the beginning and the end, seeing so much more than I.

It was a split-second decision but one that was RIGHT…I began to sing thanks and praise to Him, praying for Him to make a way in this place and meditating upon His faithfulness as I drove. These are the lyrics that came and I simply sang over and over and over:

I want to praise you, with all of my heart,
I want to praise you, for I’ve been set apart,
You are mine, You’ve made me Your own,
Abba, Father on Your throne, I want to praise You.

You see, I know I don’t have the answers. I am NOT the saviour and my vision is limited. But what I do know is that I am His daughter, He is with me, and it is always RIGHT to give my thanks and praise.

I believe with all of my heart and mind that thanks and praise is POWERFUL. That prayer and praise invites our Father into the lives of others we interact with. I believe prayer and praise is the catalyst for Christians bearing fruit because it is RELATIONAL and it is the relationship with God through the forgiveness of sins and spiritual rebirth through Jesus Christ that we must offer. 

May we never forget that is RIGHT to give our thanks and praise and to practice it.


Love Melanie.



No comments: