Like what you read?

Life of an Ordinary Aussie Woman

Thursday 26 July 2018

Am I called for ministry, and if so, what is my personal biblical model?

Okay weird title, I admit it, but it’s an actual legitimate question Christians are asked in Bible College here in Australia, and also some may personally consider. Over the course of my own Christian walk I have thought about this question many, many times, but not only that, I have also questioned the validity of the actual question itself and continue to do so from a heart of genuine pastoral care for the Church.

I first began bible college knowing I had been asked (along with every other believer) to follow Jesus with my whole life. I knew that a part of this new journey was growing in sound bible knowledge and furthermore without a ‘degree’ in Australia I would be basically unable to work full-time in ministry.

From my experience at Bible College, I found that knowing I was asked to follow Jesus with my whole life from scripture was no longer enough of an answer. We were challenged to really ‘test the call’ and to dig into scripture to find our personal ministry model; for example the Shepherd, or the Feeding of the Five Thousand, or the Woman at the Well, to name a few.

I personally felt the example of the disciples following Jesus where He led them was solid enough. I pondered why I needed to ‘peg down’ my personal calling when I felt my calling to follow, was both personal and inclusive of all Christians based on scripture. I wondered why I had to choose one ‘model’ when being 'adaptable' seemed to me to be more scriptural. When I questioned the task I was advised to just follow the process, and prayerfully choose a model. I was assured this was okay as it could change down the track. I wasn’t really satisfied but I did what was asked.

Over the years I’ve pondering this ‘foundational task’ for future ministry direction, my personal answer to the question, and indeed the validity of the question itself for our own wellbeing.

Let me quickly just say this post isn’t meant to be an in-depth, theological response rather I hope, a point of discussion and further consideration.

I am still wondering today the purpose of the question, its validity, and furthermore it’s influence on the Church…I’ll try and keep this brief.

You see, I keep coming back to Jesus and the main 12 disciples, as this is the biblical testimony to the foundation of His Church. 


His ministry wasn’t just one of feeding, or healing, or teaching. His ministry was establishing His Church before dying and rising to life, for the final sacrifice and atonement for sin, so we could be forgiven and reconciled to God as His children for eternity.

Jesus’ ministry was the one His Father gave Him.

Before His ascension Jesus commissioned all believers to take the gospel into all the world and make disciples…Why do we complicate this?

Why don’t we look to what we’ve been given?

Scripture states from St Paul “Let each of you remain in the condition in which you were called.”1 Corinthians 7:20.

This is NOT a scripture to ‘do nothing’. It is not even asking us to question or ‘test’ our call. 1 Corinthians 7:20 assumes the calling of all believers, and encourages them to look at what they’ve already been given as the basis of their ministry!

It doesn’t ask the believer to look for a specific biblical model.The New Testament wasn’t even established. Scripture always advises us to be led by God and not our own ideas…by His perfect Spirit and not ourselves…

Now I’m not trying to disregard the question and task altogether, it may indeed really help some people to discern their next step. And discernment for one’s ‘next step’ is always valid, in fact it's crucial.

I am concerned however about it being used ‘religiously’ for ministry foundation, when I don’t see it in scripture and therefore of the negative affects it may have on some believers and their families.

Just hear me out…

You see, sometimes our plans seem good at the time, but rather than working out to be Kingdom building they become more self-fulfilling. And sometimes when circumstances change for believers, they’re left feeling disillusioned as their ‘vision’ was crushed. It seems their foundation was more in an idea and based on the success of their 'ministry', rather than the unchanging truth of their inherited worth and calling because of their identity in Christ. 

The ego is all too easily inflamed, and I do think having a too-specific, personal calling, when it’s not found in The New Testament, oftentimes is fuel to this fire. Honestly, just try to have a humble conversation with someone about ‘your calling’, it’s extremely difficult to do.

We sadly hear of too many leading pastors coming into shame. Sometimes we hear years later, testimonies from the victims of frustrated and abusive leaders, who were very different people behind closed doors when no-one was watching. Where was the loving, patient, discipleship raising there?

Jesus’ ministry was the one His Father gave Him.

He was faithful in His task as the Messiah, The Christ, the Saviour of the World. God who became a human being, to establish the foundation of His Kingdom, before dying and raising to eternal life. We are to continue with Him, building His Kingdom by spreading the Gospel and making disciples, as He told us prior to His ascension. This is The Task we have until He returns.

So what have you been given?

Maybe you’re young and single, just starting out in life and you need to follow Him to find this gift.

Maybe you will look and see the family and job you have.

Maybe you have a burning desire for a particular ministry that doesn’t neglect your nearest and dearest, and need to knock on some doors to see if God opens them for you.

Try to not get caught up with the question and rest assured, whatever God’s will for you is, it will fulfil His great commission to all believers. Be assured all your work is ministry, even if it is unpaid, and unsung by others. Your children will NOT be neglected!

It’s helpful for us to remember that scripture states leaders MUST have their own households in order before having the responsibility of pastorally caring for others. And this leads me to another question. How many of us actually have a relationship with future leaders where we visit them at home and therefore can truly attest to this which is necessary for Bible College acceptance? How many of us today who attend church actually meet together in our own homes outside of a meeting?

Furthermore Bible College is 3-4 years full-time and here in Australia’s often far away from one’s home church and family. With professional standards and legislated protocol, how is it even practical for teachers or clergy to know their students personally and pastorally ‘behind doors’?

My heart truly is for Kingdom building, and this means sharing the Gospel and raising disciples through His love. Oftentimes we don’t need to go looking for a 'ministry' because it’s right in front of us…if only we are humble enough to accept it, for the unglamorous, often frustrating, and difficult work it is!

How better would our church communities be if families really prioritised their own children and homes first and foremost? How 'cleaner' and 'healthier' would our churches be if we realised our own personal growth and loving others was 'Kingdom building'?

Yes, there are still many who do offer this example but my heart is for this to spread like wildfire. Families who fight, day-in day-out, for the health and faithfulness of their own family, first and foremost so they are a 'true light' to others.  Families who live and breath The Word of God, and therefore impact our world not in their own strength but by His power.

We're all called to ministry, period.

I think we would do better to examine our own actions and heart to develop a god-centered focus, more than examining scripture to developing a ministry-model. 

All of what I've said is my heart, not just for you, but for my own home too. I don't think it's really anything new that hasn't been already said by someone else...But I do hope it strengthens and encourages you. You are precious to Him, irrespective of anything.

Peace, Melanie.

No comments: