Like what you read?

Life of an Ordinary Aussie Woman

Monday 26 November 2018

Stevie Wonder: "Overjoyed": A hidden allegory?

I’ve recently been enjoying old classics from the infamous Stevie Wonder. His old songs are really uplifting and ‘feel good’, musically delightful and also diverse. The lyrics are great…”Isn’t she lovely…” “I just called to say I love you…” “Ohhh baby, here I am, signed, sealed, delivered, I’m yours…” “Superstition ain't the way”…

I can see you tapping your foot right now…Ahhh, morals, values, love and even God is sung about…

It’s the song however, ‘Overjoyed’ that led me to dig further into the person of Stevie Wonder, and asking Google, “Is Stevie Wonder a Christian?”

You see it’s the lyrics of ‘Overjoyed’ that I couldn’t help but hearing the voice of Jesus behind…

I even Google searched the ‘meaning’ to the song but only found an interpretation stating it’s the love between a man and woman…Yet my research said that Stevie had been a devoted Christian his whole life and so I’m wondering about a hidden allegory behind this song…bear with me because when you know scripture and the Gospels it seem VERY clear…Let me break it down, I think you’ll love it as I do. 



Over time, I've been building, my castle of love

Just for two, though you never knew you were my reason

I've gone much too far, for you now to say

That I've got to throw my castle away...


Jesus was the long awaited, promise Messiah. He came to love us into the Kingdom of God and assured His disciples and followers they would indeed each have their own ‘room’ in His Father’s house. He wants a personal, one-on-one relationship with each and everyone of us. Yes, he wants us to dwell in His castle of love. See, John 14.



Over dreams, I have picked out a perfect come true

Though you never knew it was, of you I've been dreaming.

The sandman has come from too far away, for you to say


come, back some other day... 

All our dreams cannot compare to what Jesus wants to gift us. He is the ultimate giver, who gives a gift of love that is incomparable to what we even dare to dream for ourselves. Jesus did come so far to become the bridge necessary for us to be reconciled to God as His children. Jesus was fully God and left His divinity to become a human being. He loved us and dreamed of us before we even knew. He offers salvation today and we need to repent and accept it and not send Him away for another day. The Kingdom of God has come near and is an open invitation to us all TODAY. See, Mark 1:15.



And though you don't believe that they do, they do come true,

For did my dreams, come true when I looked at you

And maybe too, if you would believe, you too might be

Overjoyed, over love, over me…


We may be so broken and hurt by this world, that we have become cynical. We may find it extremely difficult to even dare to believe that a love so genuine, real and trans-formative, is even possible. Yet if we dare to take a leap of faith we will find what we truly need…forgiveness, love, peace and incomparable JOY! Overjoyed and thankful over Jesus. See, Romans 5:1-2.


Over heart, I have painfully turned every stone

Just to find, I had found what I've searched to discover

I've come much too far for me now to find, the love that I 


sought can never be mine...

The Lord’s love, compassion and willingness to forgive is so amazing, Jesus willingly took the pain, suffering and death we should inherit as mortals because of our sin upon Himself as the only perfect substitute. He suffered and rose again because He is sinless. He rolled the stone away from His tomb, and will roll the stone away from our hearts so we can love and obey Him when we repent and commit ourselves to Him, in thankfulness and joy for the free gift He imparts. See, Hosea 11:8; Ezekiel 36:26; Romans 3:21-26; Isaiah 53. Luke 24:1-6.


And though you don't believe that they do, they do come true

For did my dreams come true when I looked at you

And maybe too, if you would believe, you too might be

Overjoyed, over love, over me...



And though the odds say improbable, what do they know?

For in romance, all true love needs is a chance

And maybe with a chance you will find, you too like I

Overjoyed, over love, over you, over you… 



The Gospel is clear that what is impossible for man is not for God. There is no other way for peace and joy with God, except through repenting and accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior. We can never earn our way to God. The world may say the Gospel is improbable, but the Gospel is the Greatest Love Story of all time and all we need is the faith to pray and receive the best relationship of true godly love we will ever experience…a joy so incomparable. A love so pure. Human relationships are but a dim reflection at best… See, Luke 18:26-27; 1 Cor 1:18-30.

Yes, He is overjoyed when we repent and turn to Him and all the angels rejoice in heaven with Him…“Just so, I tell you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.” Luke 15:10.


Do you agree 'Overjoyed' may be a hidden allegory from Stevie Wonder about the Gospel message?
Let me leave you with the song. God bless, Melanie.




No comments: