Like what you read?

Life of an Ordinary Aussie Woman

Saturday 6 April 2013

A Lesson I've learned...


You know the good advice to take the road less travelled?

I think the world has altered this…


Therefore the interpretation of this road can alter…depending upon the individual…and their influences…

When I was a teenager, I think there were many who believed that the road less travelled was the road that led to the fulfilment of their own individual, wildest dream…and personally I had this idea fuelled by school.

In fact there were many who were so desperate to be different.  In defiantly trying NOT to fit in they created their own groups, further enabling their defiance, rather than individuality.

In 1995 I was in my last year of high school and went to a rock event called ‘Alternative Nation’.  The culture of defiance was everywhere…in fact it was cool and therefore not very unique at all :)

There was the fashion trend of dyed black hair, doc martins, black tights and textured miniskirts…

At the other end immodest, tight, sexy clothing…it was even acceptable to swap between styles as you were still defying the oldies.

A road less travelled was any other path from the one the oldies had trodden.

It was a path that was fresh and new and exciting…therefore it had not been taken by many, you see?

It was a road where you cut out your own new model. 


It could be a challenging path with obstacles to be overcome (like negative attitudes from old people) but the reward at the end was success (wealth, comfort, power)…even fame, if you were lucky!  Hmmm…

It has almost been 2 decades since…and has much changed? I think not…

Personally however, my interpretation of the road less travelled has…you see my life changed dramatically in 2005 when I was born again in Jesus Christ.  The veil that blinded my eyes was removed and now I know that truly the road less travelled is the Christian one…

It is the daily sacrifice of taking up one’s cross and following Jesus no matter what the world says.


It is remaining humble no matter how much we’d like not to.

It is taking the time to work things through with other people, when perhaps before we would have chosen to bad mouth them.

It is choosing to invest ourselves into others and desiring no gain, only wanting love to flourish.

It is not following our passions and desires as the world says, but seeking God’s will for our life and growing in our relationship with Him.

So this is the lesson I’ve learned…

Thanks Christian Bloggers for this challenge…

 

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Sad, but true, it hasn't changed much. A little of the 'style' may have changed over the last few decades but not that overall ill fate of it all.

God Bless, have a wonderful weekend!

~Stephanie

Melanie J Nash said...

Thanks Stephanie, but let's not feel down and defeated - Jesus has already defeated the world and there still are many of his people out there yet to be reached! Most people I went to school with have a hard time getting their head around who I am now when they find out who I am now...but that's a good thing...nothing is impossible for God! I believe that we need to be pro-active in teaching our children and community that there is a real road that's less travelled and is better than any self-centred dream!
#dontgiveup
#showHislove
#spreadthegoodnews