Like what you read?

Life of an Ordinary Aussie Woman

Wednesday 18 September 2013

Excellent Exemplar



ACTIONS speak louder than WORDS!  Do you agree?

Today I want to encourage any of you out there to persist in doing good!  Even if you do not SEE anything good coming back in return...
But first, I think I should tell you why!

As a mother of three sons aged 8,9 & 11, I can tell you that sometimes being the primary exemplar can feel like a heavy burden!  However, recently God has blessed me is SEEING some early fruit of Christian integrity in my sons, which has SO WARMED MY SPIRIT!  Because it’s tough to walk out my life with Christian integrity, in our self-obsessed world…and believe me, I DO NOT always get it right!

I am further encouraged when I think back to my early childhood, and of my mother’s example. I do not really remember my mother preaching the gospel much to me as a young girl, but what I do remember better is her actions! To be honest as a young child, I DID NOT understand all I was hearing in church or Sunday school, but I understood the genuine love that I saw J

I can remember my mother HELPING others…sharing cuppas, talking about things that mattered, and supporting others.  My Mum would stand up for us if we were mistreated; she worked hard inside and outside, she provided for her family even knitting jumpers to sell at the local handcraft store for extra income.  She taught me to swim backstroke the night before the school swimming carnival, and I came second!  She would perm her best friend’s hair to save money, and mend our clothes!  I can remember her choosing to sponsor a child overseas, and making efforts to visit people.  In short she showed me the gospel, and the person she was, was the woman I wanted to be like!

Fast forward 30 years, and you find me of a similar age to my mother then J

The woman I am now is a giver…but please I am NOT boasting here!  For indeed I have not always been a giver, but when I was re-born God began to change me, and those seeds my mothers had sewn into me as a child, being the excellent exemplar she was, sprouted!

You actually find, both genetically and spiritually, a woman like her mother!

It’s heart-warming and I’m sure God smiles loving at the two of us – like 2 peas in a pod!
 
Just like my Mum, I love to give, whether it’s hand-me-down clothes, free hairdressing to friends, support over cuppas, or a helping hand…those seeds did sprout!
 
So whoever you are, be encouraged…EVEN IF RIGHT NOW YOU DON’T SEE ANY FRUIT FROM THE PEOPLE YOU IMPACT…like friends, family or your kids…you are being watched, probably more closely than what you realise AND God is forever faithfully at work!

A verse which comes to mind is Hebrews 6:10-12

10 For God is not unjust; he will not overlook your work and the love that you showed for his sake in serving the saints, as you still do. 11 And we want each one of you to show the same diligence so as to realize the full assurance of hope to the very end, 12 so that you may not become sluggish, but imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises.’ NRSV

Don’t give up being an excellent exemplar is response to Jesus’ LOVE!

God bless, Melanie J

 

 

1 comment:

Philip Verghese 'Ariel' said...

Hi Melain,
It’s really good to meet you at CB pages and then to g+ and now here,
It’s been a long journey LOL .
Nice to speak to you. This piece is really a well written one and I could very well relate to it in many areas of my life, especially in relation to my mother.
This piece also reminded me of our today’s meditation the speaker was talking from 1 Peter 3: 1-2 … Your godly lives will speak to them better than any words. They will be won over by watching your pure, godly behavior. (NLT)
Like your mother my mother too was a classic example to this, she lived a life exemplary to the people around. I have written a post in this regard in my blog page under the title “A Mother who lived a life exemplary… A Mother Who Left Behind an Exemplary Foot Prints to Follow

PS: Hey, Please remove the word verification from here, so that it will be easy for your readers to post their feedbacks.
This you can do it by visiting your dashboard's settings page
pl do.
Thanks
PHil
PS> Also please provide a followers button apart from g+ thanks